Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hop on, hop off

I know who/what MetroTransit is but not exactly how their day to day operations are handled. I don't know their budget and even if I did...I still don't have the metro budget's of other cities to compare it to. I don't know MetroTransit's goals or even all their resources so in my opinion, they could be doing as good as they can with what they have...all that to say, I think those Spirit Trolleys are the most ineffective forms of public transportation I've ever used.



All the glory that MAPS 1 receives (and rightfully so) ends on this 9th project.



I have been fortunate enough over the past 3 years to be a traveler quite a bit (68 day 14,000 mile road trip in the U.S., 29-day Plane-Train-Bus trip to 13 diff cities in Europe and the opportunity to live in Madrid for 8 months at the mercy of public transportation)...from a traveling point of view, those Spirit Trolleys would be the biggest pain.



When I would go into a new city the first thing I want to do is "look" around. I can either: 1- walk 2- find public transportation



The first can happen without any guidance but the second leaves me with finding a bus/streetcar/trolley.



I honestly right now can only tell you where ONE trolley stop is and that is because it was by my apartment when I lived in Regency Tower (A "stop" in front of the Memorial).



The Spirit Trolleys are phantom. I see them occasionally around Bricktown... I don't see signs pointing to where any stop is, occasionally I'll stumble upon a trolley stop sign but it doesn't tell me any information.



Color the sidewalks marking each stop, show the trolley route, show VISIBLE signs pointing to a trolley stop, show VISIBLE trolley stops with a bench with Bricktown/downtown map, play music that the street can hear, have a destination where a trolley will always be waiting (for passengers and the next trolley), be timely and reliable...do something useful for crying out loud.



I have not seen anything productive implemented from this MAPS 1 project but I think going 8 for 9 is incredibly good considering the vote almost didn't pass.
A big part of the "romance" in living downtown is the dream of not owning a car. I probably will never be in that position ever again but I'll settle for never "needing" my car.



I know I have been a huge proponent of the Core to Shore Park but this new street car system has some great potential. The citizens got this one right when they listed (better public transit) as a top priority. We will be able to see the track, see the route and if better signs and reliability come with it then living downtown will become more more desirable.



We will see less parking hassles, less traffic, less intoxicated drivers, more options for dining (because getting to your parked car and driving somewhere and finding a parking x2 takes too much of an hour lunch break).



I gotta say it...I get a little giddy when it comes to thinking about OKC in about 5-7 years...it's time to bring those travelers to OKC.



All or none of the issues the trolleys have may not be MetroTransit's fault, but I'm hoping whoever runs the proposed streetcar system learns from absent Spirit Trolleys.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments on the trolly system mimic my exact thoughts. The only international travel I have been able to experience is in Moscow and I only used the subway sparingly, but visiting other major US cities such as St. Louis, Chicago, and DC exemplifies how easy it is to navigate the cities. My wife and I stayed on Michigan Ave for our honey moon and only took two days to figure our way around the Chicago Metro. Getting from Alexandria to DC was effortless and hopefully OKC can one day accomplish such a sufficient system.

    ReplyDelete